Running pic

Running pic
Yup, that's me!

Thursday, January 17, 2013

2013 - New Year, New Goals

New year, old blog.  I’m not really running faster (see: gaining a few pounds, aging a couple of years) but I do have new goals.  For 2013 I’m going to try to run 1000 miles.  For me it’s not too lofty a goal – in the first couple of weeks of the new year I’ve already managed to bank a few miles and I regularly run more than the 20 miles/week that I’d need to log to accomplish the 1000 mile goal.  More of what I’m hoping to accomplish is to use the 1000 mile goal to keep me running more consistently and to have the goal hanging over my head to get my ass out of bed on cold, rainy, humid, hot, or whatever other kind of days the Chicago weather gods see fit to throw my way that would normally have me rolling over and hitting the snooze button on my alarm clock. I figure if I hit the weekly group runs at Fleet Feet-Lincoln Square (Monday night co-ed fun run, Wednesday Chicks Night) I will get in 12 miles and then with a long run of 8+ miles on the weekend plus one or two shorter runs on weekday mornings I should be golden. In fact if all goes well I may even hit 1,250 miles which would be sweet!
Another goal (read: resolution) is to keep a runners log.  Not just to keep track of the miles, but also to log the weather, how I felt, and any other esoteric crud that comes up while I run.  Like for instance last night when I ran at the FF Fun Run I ran with Tiffany who is an excellent runner and I always push myself to try and keep up.  I was feeling great and managed a pretty good time (I think – need to start wearing my Garmin again to get times and accurate distances).  It was one of those nights that don’t make me question why I torture myself with running. It was a confidence booster too.  I’m still an idiot when it comes to signing up for races so I have two half-marathons in the next two weeks: a Zooma Women’s Half in Florida this weekend and the F^3 Lakefront Half the next.  I haven’t run 13.1 miles since my last half back in October.  Sigh. When will I learn? That would be never, as I am also captaining another Ragnar team this year.
I’ll bring in my lame little runners log tomorrow and transcribe what I’ve got so far – keeping track in two places is better than one and I can expound more here on the extras.  Like tonight I’m heading to CorePower to take one of their free bootcamp trial classes.  I took their 2-week bootcamp session last month and really enjoyed it.  I’m sure I’ll do it again sometime this year – maybe when Ragnar is done.  In the meantime I can get my little fix with their one-shot trial classes and I think I can go to alumni bootcamp classes when they hold them too.
Ok here’s the stats:
Week 1: 25-miles total (5, 6, 4 & 10) and three sculpt classes.
Week 2: 23-miles total (4, 6, 5, 8) two sculpt classes and a group power weightlifting class.

Week three is in progress, but so far so good.  I made it to the Monday & Wednesday Fleet Feet fun runs and I have the half this weekend so I should hit 28 miles.

Race review and some gear review coming up next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment