Running pic

Running pic
Yup, that's me!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cue the sobbing


Doom and gloom – that’s how I feel.  Other than a wee bout with plantar fasciitis last year that I managed to run through (although I probably shouldn’t have) I have never had a running injury.  No knee problems, no IT band issues, no back pain.  This is probably because when all of my running cohorts were running track and cross-country in high school and college I was being all emo and wearing black and listening to The Cure and Siouxie and the Banshees instead of working up a healthy sweat.  Teenage bad attitude = generally unused and therefore healthy body.  However, last Wednesday night’s ice run seems to have left a lingering pain in my left calf.  I thought it was gone until I ran last Saturday and only made it about 3 miles before having to call it quits.  I haven’t been able to run since then.  I tried to go out last night at the Fleet Feet fun run, but it was a complete fail.  I made it about 50 yards down Lincoln Avenue before crapping out with an ouchy pain.  I’m a little concerned because I have this half-marathon coming up in 12 days and since it’s in El Paso and I had to buy a plane ticket in addition to the registration I’d kind of like to run it.  So, I’ve gone into overdrive with the self-rehab:

Booked a trigger point massage for tonight and also another one for next week.

Bought a trigger point massage kit with a block, a roller, and a ball.

Started taking the leftover Napralen from my plantar fasciitis to reduce inflammation.

Weaseled a consult with my friend’s husband who is a physical therapist (will work for beer).

I know I should probably go to my doctor but I guarantee he’ll bitch me out for gaining 10 pounds and I really don’t want to hear it.  What I’m really hoping is that it’s a muscle knot and not something hinky with my Achilles tendon - that could be really bad and have lasting consequences.  I seriously don’t know what I’ll do if I can’t run.  I suppose I’ll have to start using the elliptical or taking spin classes again. I suppose I shouldn’t jump to conclusions – I’m doing the right thing and giving myself a few days of rest and hopefully that, combined with the self-rehab, will make everything all better.

No comments:

Post a Comment